OUR CHURCH HISTORY.
God has brought the Lindsay Street Baptist Church Family a long way from its brush arbor beginnings. From 1912, the English Avenue Community has been meeting at the corner of Lindsay Street and North Avenue to lift up praises to Almighty God. Mother Moore and Reverend Tillman were a part of those humble beginnings. Once known as the Greenwood Baptist Church because of the beautiful greenery surrounding the meeting area, Lindsay Street developed from a storefront building to a white shingle edifice. With the new building came the new name of Lindsay Street Baptist Church. Reverend E. S. Swanson served as its first pastor. A bell was placed in the tower inviting all that could hear the ringing to come and fellowship in the house of the Lord. Baptismal services were held in the creek that runs through North Avenue woods.
After the death of Reverend Swanson, the church continued to grow and prosper under the blessed leadership of Reverend Hines and Reverend Y. L. Davenport. In 1950, Lindsay Street called Rev. H. M. Alexander as its shepherd. Under Rev. Alexander’s divine spiritual guidance and God’s rich blessings, Lindsay Street remained focused on God’s true purpose and will. Lindsay Street was committed to saving lost souls, building a Christian community, increasing its membership and building an edifice acceptable and pleasing unto God. Under God’s direction and protection, the church located at 881 North Avenue was completed and the cornerstone laid in 1951.
Pastor Alexander became ill in his 27th year of service and it became necessary to call an assistant pastor, Reverend Danny Nance. Reverend Nance served as pastor for only a brief period.
In 1980, God blessed the Lindsay Street congregation again in the person of Rev. Anthony A. W. Motley. Under Pastor Motley’s spiritual leadership, Lindsay Street has been the spiritual foundation for many Christian leaders and preachers. The membership continues to grow as we travel the paths that God has laid for this congregation. Pastor Motley sees the vision of God and continues to build up the congregation through his powerful preaching and teaching ministries.
God is directing Lindsay Street to serve as a beacon of light to the English Avenue Community and to reach outside the walls of the church to meet the needs of the people of God. Lindsay Street seeks to fulfill the will of God through the birth of the English Avenue Community Development Corporation, the Tuesday Night Ministry, the Evangelistic Outreach Team, the New Membership Committee, the Early Sunday Morning Worship Service and many other ministries.
Presently, we are enjoying the fruits of our labors. September 9, 2001 marks the day we entered and dedicated our new facility to God at 550 Lindsay Street.
Lindsay Street will continue to serve as a source of spiritual strength and inspiration to its surrounding community. Together we can accomplish all things through Christ who strengthens us.